Sunday 29 May 2016

29 May 2016 - Tail Nav Light and Strobe Wire Routing

Today I wanted to end up with wire runs completed for the tail lights that's going to be a Navigation position light and a strobe light.

I haven't purchased anything yet but I know I will need two power wires and a ground return and possibly a strobe sync signal wire too so I need a four pin connector.


I decided to make a hole in the aft bulkhead right of central in the lowest rudder hinge bracket. A place used by other builders too. I fitted a snap bushing, The wires are going to run over the top of the fiberglass rudder bottom fairing so my plan was to cut this away more to clear the wires for full deflection of the rudder. I also planned to slide on extra protection in he form of some air line which would guide the wires through the gap and restrain them too.

Tail Lights Routing
The snap bushing is out as it is a tight fit and compresses the tube and makes threading the wires difficult.

I made a second hole in the next bulkhead for the bulkhead for the wire run and used the tube to guide the wires passed the right rudder control wire.



These wires are running down the right fuse side
note the small green bracket in the aft end I made to support them on route.


Under the passenger area they go via a connection block to similar wires which will run to each wingtip and will be fed from behind the panel routing through the footwell centre tunnel.






I have yet to decide to run a ground wire or use the aircraft structure. A good site for the tail lights ground point would be at a removed rivet point on the longeron here:
Proposed grounding point
It would offer reasonable access and good conductivity.

The reason for not doing this is I came up against an unexpected snag. My rudder bottom does not clear the exit of the tail wheel spring tube. I am building a tail dragger and it looks like these parts are cut for a RV-7A with the nose wheel.

It looks like I need to trim a taper section off the rudder bottom for tail wheel clearance.


 Time to re-read the instructions for the rudder and/or phone a friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment