Tuesday 31 May 2016

30 May 2016 - Tail Nav Light and Strobe Wire Routing continued

So today I was carried  on with the tail light wiring.

I decided to go with a ground point on my left longeron as my wire run is getting a bit full in places.

I drilled out a rivet in a spot that looks convenient to get to but out of the way too. I tried tapping for an 8-32 screw but the hole was already too big so opened it out for an AN-3 bolt thread tapping size.



I didnt have a tap for the AN-3 bolt and I really want a good electrical connection through the threads so unwilling to let that stop me yet again I made one from a bolt by first tapering the end on my lathe then cutting flutes with a grinder. Tested it on some scrap and then went for it.

The wire was terminated with a ring crimp and I added a couple of washers to make up the thickness for the unthreaded section of the AN3-3 bolt I used this was fitted below tightened up in the longeron thread then a nylock was added to the top to lock it off in my home-made thread.


Before cutting the wire to length I ran the full length rool of wire back to my earthing point at the firewall and did a conductivity test - Looks good to me.


You can see my VP-X Electronic Circuit Breaker System just behind and my forest of earths shorted onto the firewall and this is connected directly to the batter negative on the other side.




Well that is one less wire to run but I haven't run the strobe sync signal wire yet so time for some fuselage diving.


Above is as far as I need to go as I can reach the rest from aft you can see the black white wires leading to my outside air temperature probe that I have located just under the tailplain on the right side.




Above my hand is the anchor point for the passenger shoulder straps and below is the standard install for one of the two static air vents. A tube stuck on a pop rivet which has it's centre knocked out then glued in place for security.



I made little clips and riveted them in with the skins in the more forward section getting a bit full now.

Finally cut the wires to length and terminated them in a 4-way Mini-Fit Jr connector. They need to be long enough to come out of the rudder fairing to attach the connector but not so long they might feed back and obstruct the rudder movements in the hinge area.


No comments:

Post a Comment